On Jan 15, 1957, Atoka County citizens voted, by overwhelming majority, to bond the county for $180,000 for the construction of a county hospital. This amount was matched by a federal grant, along with an $18,000 cushion fund raised through donations and fundraisers by July 4th 1957. A board of directors was put in place consisting of C.C. Stephens, Chairman; John Vance Ranch, secretary; and members: J.T. Heard. Bernard Goldfield and J. Jene Mungie.
On Sept. 23rd, 1957, land was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Bob Nelson. The construction bid was awarded to Wright & Dodson Construction Co. in Sulpher, Oklahoma at the bid of $273,837. The hospital was designed by architect, Monroe Parker of Ada, Oklahoma.
In addition to earlier donations, memorial plaques were sold for patient rooms as well as various departments in the hospital which helped raise additional funding for the new facility.
The hospital opened for business on Dec 1st, 1959 with a former hometown man at the helm, Bill F. Goforth was the first administrator for Atoka Memorial Hospital. Marcella Faudree, another former Atoka resident returned to act as Director of Nurses.
The facility served the people of Atoka County well for many years until the time came, as is inevitable, when both equipment and the building became outdated and in Jan. 2009, the new Atoka County Medical Center was built.